Welcome to 52 Weeks

0A6D64A4-3403-4923-9D8E-B214E20530DD.JPG

Starting a new plan can be intimidating.

52 Weeks is here to change that.

Here’s how we do things a little differently ... 

– ­utilize batch cooking
– recipes are a guide
– new elements are added for variety and flavor

What is batch cooking?

Batch cooking is a great tool for meal prep. It allows you to easily assemble meals when you're pressed for time. Generally, we'll batch cook or prepare a few complex carbs, 2-3 proteins and some fruit and vegetables. A few sauces, spreads and dips will round out the process and allow for variety throughout the week. 

Recipes are a guide.

Follow them as closely or as loosely as you’d like. Yes, we use recipes (and build your plan around them) but they are more of a template in our opinion. They’re provided to ensure your ingredients are used and your meals are balanced; they aren’t meant to stress you out or waste your time.

It isn’t the end of the world if you substitute curry for cumin on your roasted chickpeas or add basil in place of mint to your yogurt sauce. If anything, it’s encouraged! This program is built for you – modify it as you see fit or follow it ‘to a T.’ Whatever you prefer is fine – just know the flexibility is there if you’d like it.

Know you can always email hello@52weeksmealplan.com if you have any questions!

Your recipes will give you the tools and techniques you need to experiment and improve in the kitchen.

Some recipes call for a drizzle of oil, a dash of salt or sprinkle of herbs. Don’t stress over it. Use the guidelines as an opportunity to be creative and find your rhythm in the kitchen. Have a little fun. Use your hands. Taste as you cook. Flavor as needed.

I give you permission to play.

We use ingredients that work well together.

You’ll notice we mix and match ingredients throughout the week. This is crucial when it comes to batch cooking. It also helps you spend less on groceries and waste less food. This is where spices, herbs, sauces and dips come into play – for variety!

Batch cooking tips

– when reheating, use water or low-sodium broth in place of oil
– when reheating, use medium-high heat to avoid overcooking
– add variety and flavor throughout the week with spices and fresh herbs: Mexican = chili, garlic, onion, paprika, crushed red pepper, fresh cilantro |Middle Eastern = sumac, baharat, za'atar, fresh mint, fresh parsley | Italian = parsley, oregano, rosemary, thyme, fresh and dried basil | Indian = black pepper, ginger, cumin, curry [don't worry, necessary ingredients will always be included in your 52 Weeks shopping list!]

Nutrition Information

Currently, all 52 Weeks meal plans [breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks] are built based on 1,600 calories a day. Snacks account for 15% of calories and meals cover the remaining 85%. Macronutrient breakdown of meals is 45% carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat [give or take 10%]. Please know all will balance out each week. Personalization of calories to come soon!

Food Cost

When beginning the 52 Weeks program your grocery list will be a bit higher than weeks to come. As you continue with the meal plan, your pantry will be stocked with several of the ingredients you'll need week-to-week, resulting in lower food costs. Keep your budget in check and reduce food waste with 52 Weeks!

Storage

I'd be great if we could all make it to the market for fresh fruits and vegetables each day – but that's not reality. And that's definitely not what 52 Weeks is built around. We're here to help you eat well while saving time. Keep your produce fresh through Friday by following these simple tips: 

–  don't refrigerate tomatoes, garlic, onions, shallots, hard squash [acorn, butternut, kabocha], potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, stone fruit [plums, peaches, cherries], pineapple or melons
– wrap green leafy vegetables in paper towel to remove excess moisture
– allow for good airflow [remove ties, rubber bands and tight plastic]
– wait to wash berries and vegetables until you are about to use them
– keep bananas separate from other fruits [they ripen very quickly]
– treat fresh herbs like a bouquet: place them in a glass with water and store in the fridge